With Bitcoin’s undeniably increasing marketability, it comes as no surprise that more and more people are interested in identifying ways to make profit buying or selling the popular cryptocurrency.
For Canadians now being introduced to the blockchain and cryptocurrency trading world, the following list represents some of the most preferred and trusted bitcoin exchanges in Canada, as well as cryptocurrency brokers that do business in Canada and can help you get started with trading Bitcoin.
Most Popular Canadian Bitcoin Exchanges
- Canadian Bitcoins
As its name suggests, Canadian Bitcoins is a Canada-based bitcoin exchange that is designed primarily for crypto trade within the country. With a wide array of payment methods, funding your account is very easy as you get to choose between using Interac Online, direct debit from your bank account, bill payment via online banking, cash/debit in person (Ottawa), and cash, among others, to move forward with trading your bitcoin(s). It is an overall stable platform that makes trading Bitcoin and Ether more accessible through the use of CAD.
- User-friendly interface – easy for first-time buyers.
- Plethora of payment methods to buy BTC.
- Can handle large BTC purchases (>100,000 CAD).
- Many of the private methods offered to buy bitcoins are not private.
- Satoshi Counter
This bitcoin exchange in Canada offers more than most cryptocurrency exchanges do. You can either buy online or if you are based in Montreal, you may choose the location most convenient to you and just trade bitcoins directly for cash. The company allows large purchases of up to $1m; however, you will need to go through an ID verification process to complete such trades.
- Trusted bitcoin broker run by the Montreal Bitcoin Embassy.
- Allows purchases of large amounts of BTC to Canadians.
- Needs identity verification even for purchases with cash, so it is not private.
QuickBT is another Canadian broker boasting over 200,000 customers that opened its doors to cryptocurrency traders in 2013. The company allows you to sell small amounts of bitcoin (up to $200) in a matter of a couple of minutes after payment, using a debit card, Flexepin vouchers, or Interac Online (even cash).
- Easy and fast way to purchase small amounts of BTC.
- The only verification necessary is your cell phone number.
- Clear up-front pricing.
- Daily limit of $200/cellphone number is quite low.
BitAccess is not only a Canadian ATM operator but also a Bitcoin broker funded by the Government of Canada, which gives you the opportunity to purchase bitcoins at 1000s of locations across the country (with Flexepin). Apart from that, you may also buy BTC at one of their Bitcoin ATMs (with cash).
- No identity verification is necessary for small transactions.
- Convenient locations throughout Canada.
- User-friendly interface.
- Trusted BTC broker.
- Fees are quite hefty (starting out at 10%).
- Requires ID verification for purchasing larger amounts of BTC.
QuadrigaCX is probably the most popular bitcoin exchange in Canada right now that also supports a trading platform at the same time. Based in Vancouver and boasting a trading volume of almost $1m, which is more than decent for Canadian standards (compared to big cryptocurrency markets like China and Japan), QuadrigaCX offers spot trading for a small number of coins. At the moment, there are 3 cryptocurrencies to trade (1) Bitcoin, (2) Litecoin, and (3) Ether that you can buy or sell for either CAD or USD. The platform seems to be a decentralised exchange where users trade digital currency with one another. QuandricaCX plays the role of the intermediate that brings bitcoin buyers and sellers together, and has no control over the price on the marketplace. Finally, trading fees vary from 0.20% to 0.50%.
- Supports a range of currency pairs.
- Plenty of transfer options (Interac, bank wire, bank transfer, money order, voucher).
- Very low fiat transactions and trading fees.
- Quick customer support
- Deep liquidity
- Above-industry standard security.
- Small number of digital coins supported.
- Takes 5 business days for electronic funds transfer.
- Quite limited trading features.
The Toronto-based Bitcoin exchange is one of the leading Canadian cryptocurrency exchanges that offer trading against the CAD and imply a 95% cold storage policy. That alone guarantees a very high level of security. The base currency of a Coinsquare account can be CAD, USD, GBO, EUR, BTC, and AUD. As for the costs of making transactions on them, these are in-line with the industry average. They charge 0.20% for those selling or buying directly at the best possible price (aka market takers) and 0.10% for the ones that provide liquidity to the exchange passively (aka market makers).
- QuickTrade feature available.
- Easy-to-use interface.
- Accepts fiat currency deposits.
- Lots of CAD funding options.
- Mobile apps available.
- Supports trade in some exotic forms of metals.
- 95% cold storage policy.
- Competitive fees
- Limited trading pairs.
- Trading offerings a bit too basic for trading veterans.
The British Columbia-based cryptocurrency exchange with a portfolio that includes 26 cryptocurrencies, Bitcoin included, of course, offers trading in major digital currencies for CAD (and vice versa). The website won’t allow you to take another step, though, before you go through their ID verification. Besides spot trading services, it also offers a bitcoin savings account that pays an annual interest of 9% – not a very common feature. In addition, exBtc has two more features (1) Altcoin Concierge and a (2) VIP service, which you can use to exchange cryptocurrency instantly. At the moment of this writing, exBtc is considered the 3rd largest exchange in Canada (in terms of volume).
- Good selection of altcoins.
- Very low (or no) trading fees depending on funding method (0.3% fee on average).
- Offers savings account with 9% interest per annum.
- Accepts deposits in fiat currencies.
- Several BTMs available across Canada to withdraw/deposit bitcoins.
- Easy-to-use platform.
- Doesn’t accept payments with credit cards.
- Doesn’t offer leveraged trading.
- Platform not very informative for first-time traders.
Morrex is the only cryptocurrency exchange in Quebec fully licensed by Authorite des Marches Financiers. It is also one of the oldest bitcoin exchanges in Canada, and offers spot trading in Bitcoin, Feathercoin, and Litecoin. However, no leveraged trading is offered. The altcoins offered can only be exchanged for CAD, which is fairly logical, since the company serves solely the Canadian traders.
- Long-established, fully regulated cryptocurrency exchange.
- Accepts fiat currencies
- Fast debit card funding.
- Small number of digital currencies on offer (no Ether).
- No money transferring service.
Bitcoin Brains was founded in 2013 and is the first bitcoin brokerage in Alberta (also a brick-and-mortar selling crypto mining equipment). The company’s focus is on educating Canadians about the huge potential blockchain technology and bitcoin brings and making bitcoin trading easy for all Canadians. They are often mistaken for an investment platform built around bitcoin called Bitcoins Brain, which promises to give customers 0.3% returns every hour forever. The platform has received numerous complaints about it being a pyramid scheme rather than an investment opportunity.
- Extensive selection of bitcoin mining hardware (also Litecoin mining hardware).
- Wide range of altcoins on offer.
- Reputed bitcoin brokerage (recently partnered with BitJob).
- ATMs only in Northland Malls and Sunridge.
- Details, such as fees, not clear on the site.
Popular, Non Canada-Based Bitcoin Exchanges
Binance is a Chinese cryptocurrency exchange that is particularly favoured by Canadians too. Although still fairly new on the market, its impressive number of ICO (Initial Coin Offering) listings and low trading fees have made it gain a lot of popularity. Traders can use the platform to trade several cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin, Bitcoin Gold, Bitcoin Cash, and Ethereum. As for charges, Binance has a 0.10% fee per trade (on average); however, those that pay via the Binance token get a significant discount on the trading fee (50% off).
- Huge range of cryptocurrencies on offer (>100).
- High liquidity.
- Multi-language support.
- Low withdrawal/transaction fees.
- Reward programs available.
- Two-factor authentication only for Chinese phone numbers.
- New player, so relatively unproven.
A European Union-based marketplace that brings together bitcoin sellers and buyers. It is among the most trusted names in the cryptocurrency market and you may also trade a wealth of other crypto assets too. It is one of the four exchanges that represent and determine the CoinDesk BPI (Bitcoin Price Index) – the other three being itBit, Coinbase, and OKCoin. Traders can add funds via both fiat and cryptocurrencies (i.e. CAD, USD, GBP, EUR, and CHF) while the platform also facilitates trading of a total of 4 cryptocurrencies, namely Bitcoin, Ripple, Litecoin, and Ethereum.
- Offers trading between fiat currency and cryptocurrency; plus, among cryptocurrencies.
- Trusted bitcoin exchange.
- High liquidity.
- Low transaction fees.
- CAD is converted to USD when you send it – the exchange rate may cost you some money.
- High deposit fees on smaller sums.
- Limited selection of altcoins.
- Only available funding method for Canadians is eCheck.
AvaTrade is a popular and trusted forex trading platform in Canada, located in Dublin. Its user-friendly interface makes it easy for both professionals and novices to trade bitcoin and make a profit. Where AvaTrade excels is in its software that features 200:1 leverage and fixed spreads; plus, the AVA Select program with perks to the most serious traders. You may join the platform using your WebMoney or PayPal account, or even a credit card and start trading immediately. Besides bitcoin, the site also allows you to trade several other financial instruments, from indices and oil to gas and gold. Upon signup, users become eligible to receive additional support (i.e. free e-book with forex strategies).
- AutoTrade system allows traders to create their own Forex automation systems.
- Customisable trading environment that allows traders to copy skilled traders’ trades (via the MetaTrader 4, ZuluTrade, and Mirror Trader trading platforms).
- Lots of funding options (credit card, wire transfer, debit card, electronic payments).
- Well-regulated broker.
- Plethora of trading instruments.
- Low maximum leverage (200:1).
- Market maker model.
This escrow service allows traders to buy bitcoins with cash deposits in almost all countries around the world. Its very private way to purchase bitcoins, along with its low fees, have made it one of the most preferred bitcoin exchanges in Canada. Usually, it takes only 15 minutes after payment for your bitcoins to be credited to your wallet.
- Purchasing BTC is very easy.
- The only identity verification required is your phone number (in most cases).
- Low rates (1%-2%)
- Allows cash deposits
- Exact fees not publicly disclosed.
- Might be difficult to find bitcoin traders in Canada due to limited uptake.
- Complicated process if you need to buy large amounts of BTC.
Other bitcoin exchanges in Canada (& BTMs):