Top 11 USA Bitcoin Exchanges
Given that the USA is home to some of the largest Bitcoin exchanges in the world, it comes as no surprise that buying and selling bitcoins is so easy and can be done using almost any available method, including bank transfer, credit card or cash.
Below, we give you a comprehensive list of the top USA bitcoin exchanges – divided into Most Popular and Rising Stars categories – you could consider next time you need to exchange fiat money for bitcoins and, of course, vice versa.
||Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Ripple, Dash
||Ethereum, Bitcoin, Ripple, Litecoin
||High BTC volume
||1 $ / 1 € / 1 £
||Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Ripple. Currencies: USD, EUR, GBP
||Biggest Crypto Exchange
||100,000 SATS (0.001 BTC)
||BTC and +200 altcoins
||Bitcoin, Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash, Dash, and ZCash. Currencies: USD, EUR, GBP, RUB.
||High Bitcoin Volume
||BTC and +20 altcoins
||Multiple Payment Methods
||Set by seller
||Bitcoin vs. local currencies around the globe
||Xapo Debit Card Available
||Bitcoin (BTC/USD, BTC/EUR)
||Large Altcoins Portfolio
||BTC and +100 altcoins
||400+ Crypto Coins
||5000 SATS (0.00005 BTC)
||Bitcoin and 400+ altcoins
Top 8 Most Popular Bitcoin Exchanges in The USA
For those of you in search of a trusted US bitcoin exchange to buy the digital currency fast and without too much hassle, Coinbase
will probably tick all your boxes. An easy 4-step process allows you to buy the digital coin almost instantly, especially if you are using your credit or debit card as the preferred payment method. If you are willing to pay the price (Coinbase charges 3.99% fees for credit/debit card purchases), then you will enjoy impressively fast transactions. However, you may also opt for PayPal or bank wire deposits and withdrawals. Finally, a payment option available only for US customers is using a connected bank account (1.49% fees).
- Low transaction fees for purchases made with bank transfer.
- High buying limits.
- High volume of activity in the market.
- User-friendly interface.
- Easy for first-timers to get bitcoins fast.
- Option to buy bitcoins instantly using credit/debit card.
- Lots of payment options.
- Customer funds are safely stored.
- It could take up to 5 days to complete purchases made with bank transfer.
- Coinbase may track how your bitcoins are spent (and where).
- Users don’t control their wallets, which makes them less secure.
The US-based digital asset exchange is actually Coinbase’s exchange and makes it easy for traders to deposit funds with wire transfer, bank transfer, SEPA, digital currency, or Coinbase wallet. As for the fees on GDAX, maker orders (orders that provide liquidity) come cheaper than taker orders (orders that take liquidity) considering that maker orders come with 0% fee (in all markets) while Bitcoin (BTC) taker orders have a fee of 0.25%, which is also one of the lowest available for US customers at the moment. On the downside, the rather confusing user interface could make it a bit difficult for newcomers to navigate through the website, at least, for a short while, until they get the hang of it.
- Particularly low fees to trade bitcoin.
- Possibility to buy bitcoin free of charge.
- Allows you to trade Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin, as well as USD and EUR fiat currencies.
- Not beginner friendly
- You could see your account closed permanently if you send bitcoins to any non-regulated site.
Coinmama is a solid platform to buy your cryptocurrency using your credit card and a bitcoin exchange that boasts over 200,000 customers. Their main focus is bitcoin; however, you may also buy Ethereum, which is the second most popular virtual currency, provided you have completed the identity verification process. If the overall worth of the purchased bitcoins does not exceed $150, though, then you won’t need to verify your identity. This gives you the chance to enjoy easy and fast (yet, small) purchases. Finally, if you need to sell your bitcoin or ether, you will have to use a different service as you won’t be able to sell your cryptocurrency through the site.
- You can buy fractions of a bitcoin.
- Works in nearly all countries.
- No need to use middleman – you can buy directly from Coinmama.
- Trusted broker.
- Live pricing in both USD and EUR.
- Very high charges per purchase using a credit card (almost 6%).
- You may only buy bitcoin; not sell it through the site.
- Only accepts payments via Visa, MasterCard, and Cash (through Western Union transfer); no PayPal, Discover, or American Express.
If you prefer to buy bitcoins using cash deposits, then BitQuick will please you greatly. The company operates in all US states except for New York, due to BitLicense, and can deliver bitcoins to buyers within an hour of payment. When it comes to fees, sellers are not charged any fees while a 2% fee weighs on buyers, which is a tad high for cash purchases of bitcoin. However, if you consider that you get your BTC so quickly, the scales probably balance nicely.
- Traders can often sell bitcoins for higher-than-market rates.
- No seller fees.
- Very fast way to buy BTC.
- The BTC buyer pays the seller by making a cash deposit into the seller’s bank account, which makes it a more (physically) secure payment method than others.
- Cash trading with 2% fees for buyers is quite high.
- Markup on BTC price can be much higher than the current BTC price at times.
Founded in 2011, Kraken is the largest bitcoin exchange in USA and Europe, based on its daily average trading volume and liquidity, and one of the oldest Bitcoin exchanges on the market. Besides bitcoin, the highly-respected digital currency exchange also offers a wide range of altcoins to traders almost all around the world. Kraken’s platform was clearly designed with the serious and sophisticated trader in mind and provides a plethora of much-appreciated features, such as deep liquidity, fast execution speed, and margin trading. Plus, the crypto investor has a unique ability to trade BTC against fiat currency, including USD, CAD, GBP, EUR, and JPY (Japanese Yen).
- Low taker trade (0.25%), which can fall down to o.10% with larger trading volume.
- Low maker fee that can drop to 0% with large trading volume.
- Highly respected cryptocurrency exchange.
- Highly professional trading platform.
- Margin trading.
- Large-volume buyers enjoy deep liquidity in European markets.
- Narrow variety of payment options (only bank wire, SEPA, and SWIFT).
- No user-friendly interface for beginners.
- Not private as it requires ID verification.
Wall of Coins
Wall of Coins is another US-based peer-to-peer digital currency exchange that offers low fees and helps its customers trade BTC for cash via a unique SMS system that walks traders through the entire process of buying BTC. That alone makes Wall of Coins a great choice for first-time buyers interested in purchasing BTC with cash deposits. It operates in 12 countries, including the USA, and has a good customer support service, featuring a live chat box ready to assist with any issues that may arise during the buying process.
- No buying limits
- Allows purchases as little as $5 worth of BTC.
- Coins are usually delivered within 15 minutes after the buyer confirms the payment.
- Quite low fees (around 1%).
- No verification required – only phone number. So, fairly private way to buy BTC.
- Easy to use.
- Not available worldwide.
- Speed of delivery varies and depends on when the seller confirms the payment so it might take a while (at times).
- Difficult to find sellers willing to sell a large amount of BTC.
- Fees are included in the buy price rather than being publicly displayed.
The Tel Aviv-based social trading platform and multi-asset brokerage company is, in fact, an online forex broker that offers a pioneering way to trade BTC. eToro USA is the American version of the eToro brand that is specially tailored to US customers and is based on FX Solution’s infrastructure. Investors take great delight in using the game-like platform that makes it very easy to use eToro services. In addition, learning and mastering one’s Forex trading skills with the help of a graphical user interface is incredibly fun. As for the more experienced traders, eToro USA has created a very competitive platform, known as Expert Mode. Finally, eToro USA operators are members of the NFA (National Futures Association) and are also registered with the CFTC (Commodity Futures Trading Commission).
- Supports multiple funding methods.
- Offers professional assistance to customers through account managers.
- Provides a unique trading social network.
- Easy-to-use platform – also good mobile platform.
- Inactivity fee is paid only after 12 months of no sign in.
- Seamless and fast account opening process.
- No slippage
- Broad array of Financial Instruments.
- Low minimum deposit requirement.
- Demo account provided.
- Copy Trade feature allows beginner traders to “copy” more experienced traders’ trades.
- The Social Trading options offer experienced traders the chance to leverage their trading skills into an extra stream of revenue.
- CFD spreads are relatively high.
- Quite high overnight fees.
- Limited product portfolio (only CFDs available).
VirWox is a centralised digital convertible currency exchange based in Austria. It was founded in 2007 and was originally designed to provide SSLs (SecondLife Lindens), be it L$, Linden Dollars, or SSL, rather than an exchange per se. Nevertheless, it allows people to purchase cryptocurrency, Bitcoin included, after depositing a certain amount of fiat money, mainly for online gaming purposes.
- The only way to buy BTC with Skrill or PayPal.
- No maximum or minimum BTC deposit requirements.
- No lockout time for new accounts.
- Several options for withdrawals and deposits.
- Simple, fast, and smooth trading process.
- Offers a unique way to trade fiat currency for BTC and vice versa.
- 10% fee to purchase with PayPal.
- First BTC withdrawal can take up to 2 days.
- Red flag policy is rather overzealous.
USA Bitcoin Exchanges: The Rising Stars
The 3 bitcoin exchanges listed below are following their most popular relatives very closely and we expect them to gain even more popularity soon.
Gemini is a New York-based, licensed bitcoin exchange that operates a total of three order matching engines – one per trading pair offered (BTC/USD, ETH/BTC, and ETH/USD). It has customers in 49 US states while it is also open to residents of Canada and Singapore, among others.
- Satisfactory funding methods (wire transfer, ACH transfer, and SEPA).
- Regulated and trustworthy exchange.
- Low fees (some of the lowest in both Canada and the USA).
- Allows you to buy coins quickly via the Instant Deposit.
- Doesn’t allow to withdraw coins via Instant Deposit.
- Confusing interface – not suitable for new buyers.
- Not available throughout America.
Bitstamp is a very well-known Bitcoin exchange in the USA and across the world. It is licensed by Luxembourg’s Ministry of Finance and is a good option for traders that are purchasing large amounts of BTC. You can make deposits through international bank wire, bank transfer, credit cards, and SEPA transfer.
- Low fee (0.25%) that can drop down to 0.10% with large trading volume.
- Nice array of withdrawal and deposit options.
- Wide range of altcoins.
- Deep liquidity.
- Requires extensive verification.
- High fee on small credit card buys (8%) that can drop to 5% with larger trading volume.
- Was hacked in the past – users should better avoid storing funds on the exchange.
- A bit confusing for first-time buyers.